Friday, September 09, 2011

Rugby World Cup Fever ; Me & The Rugby Boys

The Rugby World Cup 2011 is held from 9th September to 23rd October 2011. 
With the Rugby World cup fever spinning around Europe boys, it seems that every young woman will have to pick up a little about rugby jargon, or news in order to catch up a conversation with the "real" guys. So, here i am trying to get hold of what Rugby game is all about. Instead of  learning the technique and match point.. i think i  have learnt a lot more about the Italian Jargon during my first encounter as a totally unknown spectator.

Rugby- is a form of sport that developing a boy to a physical and mental fit man. In Treviso, Rugby is a passion for most of the man. Be it to themselves or developing it to their son at home. This is also a mode of developing the sense of belonging in a small community like Treviso.

Last week, I have the chance to watch a friendly match of UNDER-15 boys between Villorba and Oros of the neighboring district. They were humungous! Their size are double of most of the 15 years old boys in Malaysia. For one moment I thought, finally I will be able to see some “beautiful man” in action. Ha~ I was wrong, they are my little brothers whom Massi (the eldest son of Marco) will match with.
The boys marching out in their full uniform. Villorba which is  my team is in yellow.

It’s a friendly match, but to them it’s an adrenaline “MUST WIN” competition, this is because Villorba team never lose in any game. They have been holding the champion for more than 8 years. The coach speaks in his hoarse voice, reminding, alerting and keep pumping the spirit of the young horses, as they were performing their warm up session. 
Everything went serious, some drama session along the game, and check out the physio therapist, i know some  some friend of mine might think , how nice if rugby game in Sabah to have a woman therapist:) 
I like this part , lots of arm strength needed.


The game started with Villorba heading easily. I have no idea how this game is counted. All I can listen was each parent are cheering for their son’s best move. All I can hear is something like this:-

“ Dai, Dai, Dai… Nikola Dai… Va bene, va bene ! Sastansio …. SASTANSIO..Via ! Via!....  si! Si! Si! Ecolla, Bravo ! Bravo ragazzo.. Ballisimo!”  ( claps with laughter )

Which literally translate to :-

 “ Come on! Come on ! Nikola Come on.. OK, OK! Sustain…. Sustain …Go ! Go ! There it is ! Great ! my great boy ! Beeeeeeautiful! …..”

( I always thought that DAI .. DAI... DAI ... is "DIE."  Dont get it wrong, it literally means Come on !" ) 



Drama goes on. ...
Parents putting hope in their children.... with all concentration and cheers. 
The game finished with the scored 20-5. I am lucky to have Marco explaining to me a little about rugby game and technique. The parents are happy, so am i.. happy that such small occasion I indulged in the expression and action of excited Italian parents.

Till then.. Buona Notte ( good night ) to my Malaysia friends. 


No comments: