Sunday, March 13, 2011

Wisdom Learnt While Fishing at Mengalum Open Sea


Mengalum island is located off the South China Sea is well regarded by Sabahan locals and its tourists alike for its sandy beaches and crystal blue water.The deep blue sea is rich in marine life, plankton and natural wonders. A fishing trip at the Mengalum exposes such as amber jacks, barracudas, bill fish, groupers, mackerel, marlin, sailfish, snappers, yellow fin tuna, mahi mahi and more.


Sunset View at Mengalum Sea

On one fine day, my good buddy Sir Luciano (everyone calls him Italian Papa) has arranged a deep sea fishing in Mengalum sea. Two of us, yes … just the two of us with his Fiber Boat Camelia2.We depart from Sutera Harbour Marina Resort at 8.30am sharp, just to catch the good weather condition.

It took us almost one hour to get to Mengalum, another 1 hour to spot for good fishes zone and another hour to wait for results.

I have always been an anxious characteristics person. So, since Papa is more enthusiast in fishing, he prepared all the rod, putting on bait such as little prawns and small fishes, hook them at the rod holder at every angle of the boat; and then we waited patiently.

At one point there is no result, papa would passionately maneuvering the boat, chilling with his drinks and little sandwiches while waiting for his “fruitful result”. As for me, the suspense almost kill me, my patience was wearing thin, and anger was building up, being under the hot sun, I was almost at the point of eruption.

Suddenly, Papa’s fishing rod was pulling him forward and as usual sandwiches and drinks all on the ground and this is only what I hear at this point of time :-

Dai.. Dai .. Dai. Cicio dai, va bene, va bene, perfetto ! Bravo ! Bravo! Opss .. Mammamia

and SPLASH !”

Which I can attempt to translate to :-

Come on….Come on… Come on Fatty come on,

OK,OK ,Perfect, Well done! Well done! Opss and oh my Go

and.. And Splash !"

Papa .. Happily with his fish..

And there it is a big groupers was on hooked! After the first catch, the rest became queue, excitement continued and in just less then 2 hours, our cold bucket has filled up with plenty of fishes.

Even unhooking the Garoupa need a skill !

Certain fish is poison that we are not suppose to intact with them

Of course, I didn't get a fish every time I throw my rod and wait, but in all, a good vibes and positive patience attracts fishes. Papa caught more then 10 fishes that afternoon. Throughout this experience, as frustrating as it was, I found out that something new will always be a challenge but I should never give up if I don't excel immediately. I learned that to be skillful in an art of any kind I must push myself through a disappointing performance and continue until I conquer the new art of patience.

Each step I take forward instead of giving up, will take me closer to achieve my goals of success in life. And of course, one other important thing I learned is that, practice makes perfect !

For more details on amateur or pro night fishing, please browse through www.7starfishing.com.


2 comments:

CathJ said...

wow.. good catch!!

BUMIPUTERA said...

mengalum island actually is a very famous places to fishing a big fish.. whatever , nice catch!..